Thursday, August 12, 2010

Vaccine Day!

So today was Walter's appointment for his annual exam and vaccines, though we were a bit overdue (by like 4 months!). I packed him up in his swanky new carrier and hauled him off to work. His exam went well.....though with a few 'bumps' in the road you could say! He has gained close to 3 pounds since we adopted him over a year ago...not good! It doesn't help that his 'holistic' food is almost 500 calories per cup either, though it has worked a wonder on his vomiting episodes. Other than that, there is a suspect tooth with a possible resorptive lesion on it, so I guess I'll have to keep an eye on that. Heart sounds good, no murmur, which is great as we've been keeping an eye on his heart due to an ultrasound he had last year. Because the ultrasonographer was coming into the clinic anyways to do an ultrasound on another patient, we thought we would take this opportunity and have his heart rechecked today.
Needless to say, Walter wasn't very cooperative (very squirmy) last time, so I thought I'd be proactive and sedate him slightly prior to this ultrasound. I gave him a nice IV injection of a narcotic mixed with a benzodiazepine (like valium). Well....that didn't work too well, though he could hardly sit without falling over, he was even more squirmy. Up comes IV injection #2 (more narcotic and this time a sedative). Well, it wasn't perfect, but it got the job done.
The ultrasound showed no heart abnormalities (murmur, thickening etc), so I am just happy with that.
It has been about 6 hours since I sedated him and he is still wobbling around the house looking for food (benzo's do that!) with his eyes as big as pie plates!

Clean bill of health, now just to work on the weight thing.....wish me good luck.

3 comments:

  1. There are a lot of good Back remedy flowers or a homeopathic blend for animals and their health. Also, at only natural pet (believe that's what it's called) online shop they have some wonderful newsletters and recommendations for a pets weight. One of my cats has a few plump pounds on her too. Like humans, I believe that a cats build is genetic and yes we feed them healthy but they just have the propensity for a few extra pounds. Sounds like Walter is in good health though, glad to hear that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it sad when they're all wobbly after being sedated? When our cat got her teeth cleaned, she kept falling over. It was awful. The vet said to make sure to keep water away from her until she was stable, or she could literally drown in her water dish. Poor kitty!

    ReplyDelete