Saturday, January 2, 2010

High Anxiety Level.....

If I didn't have enough to worry about on my plate....

I wasn't really looking forward to Christmas this year, wasn't really feeling it. I was looking forward to my week off between Christmas and New Years though. However, this week has come and gone, full of anxiety, worry and multiple trips into work with Walter. It's sad when you think, just for a second, to take one of your dogs anti-anxiety pills!! (I didn't...don't worry).

We're not exactly sure what's up with him this time around. He's just off, he seems painful. At first I thought it was his stomach again, either pancreatitis or some sort of gastritis, however, he's not vomiting and he's begging for food (signs that don't go with gastrointestinal issues). He's been lethargic, with a few bursts of energy, sleeping alot in the bedroom and sitting on his cat tree hunched into a ball. We've done x-rays (we're up to so many now it should be considered radiation therapy), and bloodwork and haven't been able to find anything but a few spots along his back that seems painful and spasms after touching. As for the moment, we're just treating him for pain. Metacam (anti-inflammatory) and buprenorphine (a narcotic that they actually use now instead of Methadone for patients undergoing addiction problems!).

He's been a pretty drugged up little guy for the past few days. Today I decided to decrease the frequency of the buprenorphine, and it seems (don't want to jinx it though) as the buprenorphine is wearing off he's beginning to be a bit more of 'himself'. I know my mother says I get too worked up over this kind of stuff, but when you have the track record that we have had you can't help not to. Walter is my best friend, and when he's not his usual fun loving self, it's very hard to go about your every day life, especially when you can't put your finger on what's exactly going on.

Hopefully we're over the brunt of it. We have a veterinarian from a clinic that specializes in therapy and rehabilitation coming in on wednesday that is planning on taking a very thorough look at Walter and his x-rays, in case she can see something with her 'specially trained eyes'. We're also planning on getting him in with my co-workers wife, who's also a vet, to do acupuncture on him for pain relief.

Cross your fingers for us.....

1 comment:

  1. Cool...I think you're the first cat blogger we've found from Edmonton. Sorry it took so long to get over here. In response to your question about what tests they ran for Everett...I really don't know for sure. I haven't dealt with any pancreas issues in any of the cats before, and just going on what little I do know about pancreas symptoms I really didn't think that's what we were dealing with so I just let him run whatever test he wanted since nobody has a clue. Honestly we were torn on whether or not to bring him to the vet at all because I knew it was one of those problems that would need a lot of tests and end up with no diagnosis.
    I can't tell if he's feeling ok right now for sure, but he's playful and eats a lot so I think he's fine. He just has weird episodes that last a few hours. Poor Walter, and poor you because I know how worrisome it is. It is so frustrating when something is wrong and you just don't know what it is or how to fix it. Fingers crossed for Walter.

    ReplyDelete