Well, as we all read on my last post, Walter started vomiting again.
Because he gets into everything, I brought him into the clinic again, ran some bloodwork and a barium series of xrays to see if he ingested a foreign body (which would never surprise me). Everything normal, again.
We are waiting for one set of results to come back, measuring his vitamin B levels, which if too low, would suggest a chronic gastrointestinal disease such as IBD or Inflammatory Bowel Disease......which, would suck. Sorry to put it so rudely.
It just reminds me of the path we went down with my last cat Blitz, IBD is how it all started.
It's not a bad disease, though in some cats it may lead to lymphoscarcoma (lymphoma) of the intestine. Actually, lymphoma isn't even a horrible diagnosis in cats either, if caught early it can be treated quite easily and even put into remission with daily medication.
Anyways...back to what we're dealing with now.
After an email consult with a board-certified Feline Practitioner, she has suggested feeding some novel protein diets (by novel I mean.....different, odd, uncommon) and has had great success with holistic remedies. So again, going back to my original plan, we're still on the holistic food approach, just with novel proteins and holistic treatment in the future.
SO....going against almost everything I ever stood for, I broke down and bought RAW food for Walter.
It's actually not as bad as I thought it was going to be, just really nasty for my taste.
For now, it's rabbit (and I feel horrible because I have two in the house, so I call it Ribbit). I warm it up in the microwave and squash it with a fork and that's when the lovely aroma fills my house. Oh how wonderful warm, succulent rabbit meat smells....ewww.
He also gets canned rabbit, which is mixed with carrots, so it looks like sloppy, stinky vomit. Which I guess is ok because I've been dealing with vomit for so long it just seems homey now.
So far so good, I just hope that he doesn't think that substituting the packaged raw rabbit for live rabbit is going to happen.
Because he gets into everything, I brought him into the clinic again, ran some bloodwork and a barium series of xrays to see if he ingested a foreign body (which would never surprise me). Everything normal, again.
We are waiting for one set of results to come back, measuring his vitamin B levels, which if too low, would suggest a chronic gastrointestinal disease such as IBD or Inflammatory Bowel Disease......which, would suck. Sorry to put it so rudely.
It just reminds me of the path we went down with my last cat Blitz, IBD is how it all started.
It's not a bad disease, though in some cats it may lead to lymphoscarcoma (lymphoma) of the intestine. Actually, lymphoma isn't even a horrible diagnosis in cats either, if caught early it can be treated quite easily and even put into remission with daily medication.
Anyways...back to what we're dealing with now.
After an email consult with a board-certified Feline Practitioner, she has suggested feeding some novel protein diets (by novel I mean.....different, odd, uncommon) and has had great success with holistic remedies. So again, going back to my original plan, we're still on the holistic food approach, just with novel proteins and holistic treatment in the future.
SO....going against almost everything I ever stood for, I broke down and bought RAW food for Walter.
It's actually not as bad as I thought it was going to be, just really nasty for my taste.
For now, it's rabbit (and I feel horrible because I have two in the house, so I call it Ribbit). I warm it up in the microwave and squash it with a fork and that's when the lovely aroma fills my house. Oh how wonderful warm, succulent rabbit meat smells....ewww.
He also gets canned rabbit, which is mixed with carrots, so it looks like sloppy, stinky vomit. Which I guess is ok because I've been dealing with vomit for so long it just seems homey now.
So far so good, I just hope that he doesn't think that substituting the packaged raw rabbit for live rabbit is going to happen.

No comments:
Post a Comment